Why I Love my Dog
This is probably an easy post for everyone to write, well, everyone that has a dog, and certainly appropriate for Valentine’s week. Dogs make us laugh, they motivate us to exercise, they protect us, they provide company when we are lonely and they give us unconditional love 24/7. All of these are good reasons to love your dog, but what I’m talking about is those little imperceptible day-to-day interactions that make you smile that are little testaments to how much your dog loves YOU and makes you love him back.
Jack is a velcro dog, he doesn’t like being out of my sight, or not knowing where I am. He gets a little freaked if he loses track of me, and with his eyesight impaired with cataracts, that’s happening more and more often. But even when I trip over him, or he steps on the back of my flip-flops and makes me stumble, I still love him. There are many things Jack does (or doesn’t do) that make me love and appreciate him, here’s a short list of the things he does everyday that put a smile on my face and make me want to give him a smooch on the head.
- Every morning after dad feeds him breakfast, he comes back to the bedroom (where I’m still sleeping) and squeezes into the 3 foot space between my side of the bed and the wall to say good morning and lie on the floor next to me until I get up. All night long, he sleeps at the foot of the bed in his nice big dog bed, but in the morning, I guess he wants to be closer to mom.
- Every evening Jack comes and sits in front of me while I’m watching TV for his nightly pet. He’ll sit there and sit there until I break down and give him a rub. Then he goes over to dad for a rub and then back to me…he’ll go back and forth between us until one of us insists he go to bed…and then he’ll grudgingly lie down and fall asleep.
- When he comes back from his afternoon walk with his dog walker, the first thing he does is come into my office and say hello, then he zips around and into the kitchen for his treat.
- When we’re out for a walk, once he’s expended his initial energy and sniff quotient, he walks immediately to my right in perfect rhythm. I don’t need a leash – although of course I use one, but he’s just in the zone, taking a walk with mom and as happy as can be. I find a lot of pleasure in these moments as they are so peaceful and he is such a good companion.
- During the day, I’ll take a break from work and take a walk up to the end of our driveway. Jack is always by my side. He can be sound asleep, but when he hears that door open, he’s right there. And if I stop to stretch out the kinks from sitting too long, or pull a few weeds from the garden, he just stands patiently next to me waiting for me to finish. Velcro.
I could go on and on…and there’s a completely separate list for Maggie. In honor of Valentine’s Day, tell us what your dog does that makes you love them.
This week’s #52Snapshots #PBSG photo challenge theme is LOVE, so I thought this an appropriate post and appropriate photo.