SlimDoggy on eHow – How to Walk Your Dog Using a Treadmill
For many dog owners, a dog treadmill can be a great tool to help keep their pet fit and healthy. Treadmills allow you to exercise your dog even if:
- The weather is too cold or rainy
- It is too dark outside before or after work
- If you have an injury and can’t run with your dog
- If you need to stay at the house for some reason
We recommend using a treadmill that is made for a dog’s frame, like the one from DogTread, versus using a human treadmill.
In our eHow video, we share a few tips to make it easier and more enjoyable for both you and your dog.
- Make sure the platform length is appropriate for your dog
- Use the leash to guide the dog but DON’T tie the leash to the railing
- Stand in the front or side (pictured) position to keep your dog on point
- Use treats for rewards and to keep the dog focused.
- Use a lot of positive reinforcement to help your dog enjoy their treadmill workouts
- Try to stay on the treadmill for a minimum of 5 minutes to reinforce the movement patterns and acclimate the dog to the moving belt
- End the workout on the treadmill in the stopped position
Watch Slimdoggy Jack on the treadmill at the fitness room at the Pooch Hotel in West LA. He hadn’t been on a mill for almost two years but he seemed to re-acclimate quickly.
How to Walk Your Dog Using a Treadmill —powered by eHow.com