SlimDoggy Jack’s 5 Favorite Activities
I have to admit that Maggie has been getting most of the attention around the house lately…and many of our blog posts are related to her and her care. Jack is demanding equal time, so today is Jack’s day, devoted to all things Jack. We thought a good place to start would be a review of his favorite activities. Pete, Jack’s first dog trainer used to say this about Jack: “Jack’s favorite thing to do is whatever YOU are doing” and that’s kind of true. Jack just loves being with us, even if it’s to walk outside to empty the trash, he’s right there with me. But, of course there are certain activities he prefers over others.
So, in no particular order, here’s Jack’s 5 favorite things to do:
- Eat: This is kind of a no-brainer…he’s a Lab after all. But Jack eats first and asks questions later. Maggie sniffs everything before she will put it in her mouth. Jack would rather put it in his mouth and then spit it out if he doesn’t like it. Although the only thing I think I’ve ever seen him spit out was celery. He swallows his treats whole…if it’s smaller than a half dollar, it goes down whole. He will even eat medication right from my hand.
- Morning walk: Jack is at his most spry for his morning walk. He bounces down to the door, jumping as much as he can jump – which isn’t much, he’s very much a “white dogs can’t jump” kind of dog. But then he bounds out to the car and waits at the door to be let in. If I forget something and have to come back in, he stands and waits and waits until I open the door.
- Sleep: Isn’t this a favorite activity of everyone? Jack is a pro. One thing I’ve noticed as he ages, he’s harder and harder to wake up. Given his velcro tendencies, sometimes I will try to sneak out of a room if I’m just going to get a glass of water or something. I never used to be able to, but now, he’s so deeply asleep, and his hearing so bad, I can…sometimes.
- Treat toys: I’ve written before about Maggie’s favorite game, “find the food” and while Jack loves the game, I think he prefers his treat toys. He will work them and work them and work them, even after the treats are gone. He will carry them around, come back to one 2-3 days later and exhaust every once of treat or treat flavor in them. And he will combine favorite #3 and even sleep with his treat toys.
- Dig for gophers: Jack has never been a playful dog. He will chase a ball or toy maybe once and then run back into the house with it. Or he might chase me around if I get him riled up. We have tons of rabbits around our house, but he pays them no attention, he’s learned he will never catch them. But he will dig for gophers and chase lizards. His eyesight is going, so he’s not too aware of these critters much anymore, but when I look out the window and see only his butt sticking out of the bushes, I know he’s found something to chase.
As you can see, Jack is pretty easy to please. No fancy toys or equipment, no expense, no effort from me other than the walk. Very low maintenance. How about your dog, what is their favorite activity?