People Food that’s GOOD for Dogs
We frequently get asked whether the latest “super food” is also good for our dogs. Our A to Z Ingredients series pulls in the most visitors on our site and we’ve tried to cover the major “super foods” in the course of the series.
We thought we’d revisit a few of our favorites that are normally considered ‘people’ food, but can be very beneficial for our pets also:
- Olive Oil received a SlimDoggy Happy Face rating because of the powerful antioxidants and anti-inflammatory effects of the polyphenols found in olive oil. Olive Oil is also believed to help keep your dogs coat shiny and reduce itchy, dry skin. It reduces risk of cardio-vascular disease and even aids in digestion and cognitive function.
- Kale is really popular right now and has garnered that ‘super food’ label. Kale contains high levels of antioxidants and phytonutrients which are believed to play a role in cancer prevention. Kale also received the SlimDoggy Happy Face rating.
- Papaya is one of those super foods that not only taste delicious, but is good for you. It is a great source of fiber and aids in digestion and prevention of intestinal disease by helping keeping the digestive tract healthy.
- Green Tea. Even though green tea does contain caffeine and should be given in limited amounts, the enzyme found in it are useful for treating high blood pressure, stomach problems & bad breath – with a side benefit of reducing the odor of your dog’s poop!
- Jicama belongs to the bean family and is a favorite in some Mexican foods and salads. It is high in dietary fiber, so good for the digestive system and it’s high in Vitamins C and A. Be sure to give your dog only the bulb and not the leaves or stem.
Before you serve any of these ingredients to your pet, it’s wise to check with your vet to make sure there aren’t any possible repercussions for your dog and his unique dietary needs and health profile.
We’ve linked to the longer article for your convenience, but rest assured that any one of these is an excellent choice for your pet.